A Stitch In Time’s Handi Quilter Truck Event!
We are excited to bring the Handi Quilter truck here for the first time!! We have had van events the last couple years, and have been running out of space so this year we are bringing the truck with 12 machines to use! This is a great opportunity to explore the art of long arm quilting for yourself, or if you have been doing it for a long time, a way to expand your repertoire and learn from the awesome educators at Handi Quilter! While these classes are taught on the Handi Quilter, the skills you will learn can be applied to many different brands of long arm quilters! We have had owners of Gammill, APQS, Nolting, Grace, Baby Lock, and many others, who have come to the classes and been so happy with what they have learned.
There is a nice discount given if you have purchased your Handi Quilter from us, so please email or message us to get your discount code!
These are two-day seminars! You have your choice of two dates:
- May 19 – 20 (Wed & Thur.)
- May 21 – 22 (Fri. & Sat.)
What is included?
Besides all the things in the class lists below, here is what you will also get;
- Many handouts from the educators for the classes
- Coffee and either donuts or cookies
- Door prizes for each class
- Discount on any Handi Quilter products purchased during the event
- A Special gift from our store to you!
Here is the list of what will be taught during these two days:
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM “Getting Started with Longarm Quilting”
Are you interested in learning more about longarm quilting? This great class is a show and tell of all the best features of the Handi Quilter machine lineup. The basics will be covered, including machine and frame maintenance, loading a quilt, setting your tension, and picking the perfect thread to stitch out the perfect design. Questions about everything quilting related – from pantographs to stencils – will all be answered in this great back to basics class.
- The basics of machine and frame maintenance
- Tensioning bobbins and longarm quilting machines
- How to load a quilt onto a frame
- Quilting pantographs, Groovy boards, and stencils
- Rulers, basic free motion, and Handi Gadgets
1:30 PM – 4:30 PM “Free Motion Quilting, ‘You can do it!!’ “
Ready to tackle free-motion quilting? It’s as easy as starting with a few simple shapes! By beginning with drawing, you can develop an inventory of free motion designs that you can stitch out continuously. Fun fills, creative borders and easy blocks will all be demonstrated. Quilting out beautiful designs using free motion techniques will take your skills to the next level.
- Drawing basic free-motion designs in a continuous line
- Scaling fills for backgrounds
- Creating your own edge-to-edge designs
- How to fill borders evenly
- Micro quilting and using different feet
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM “Can’t have enough rulers”
Do you love rulers? But are you still looking for new ways to use them? In this class, we’ll focus on building an inventory of design ideas using the HQ VersaTool and other HQ rulers. Point to point quilting using markings already on your quilt – like seams or corners – is a cinch with rulers. We’ll start with ruler basics, then move on to creating beautiful designs for your entire quilt.
- Ruler basics: the right foot, ruler base and ruler
- Point to point quilting using the markings on the rulers
- Using a ruler for a design base on an entire quilt
- HQ VersaTool®: stitch-in-the-ditch, cross-hatch, piano keys, clamshells, and arcs
- Quilting around applique or embroidery with rulers
1:30 PM – 4:30 PM “Introduction to the Pro-Stitcher”
Pro-Stitcher is an intuitive computer-guided quilting system designed especially for use with Handi Quilter longarm quilting machines. User-friendly and simple to operate, the step-by-step process for each function is easy and fun. Whether finishing your own quilts or consider a quilting business, come see the elegant and precise quilting you can accomplish with Pro-Stitcher. *New owners – start here!*
- Overview of support resources available on-line
- Overview of menu and basic functions and design catalog
- Place a block design using Skew, Resize, XForm and Align
- Demonstration of the Pro-Stitcher Simulator
- Overview of PS Designer ™
Judy learned to knit, crochet, and hand embroider at a very young age, and began garment sewing later in high school. Her love of quilting began with a Bicentennial quilt kit from a magazine and has flourished ever since. She loves to piece quilts using various methods and techniques, and is especially fond of traditional patterns and machine embroidered blocks.
Working at her local quilt store since 2008, she fell in love with Handi Quilter longarm machines and all they can do to help her finish quilts faster. Since her previous career was in computer networking, Judy was especially drawn to the Pro-Stitcher® and its endless design possibilities. She quilts with an HQ Infinity® with Pro-Stitcher®, and loves to design quilting patterns using the Pro-Stitcher simulator. Helping new quilters gain confidence in their quilting skills and finding their own passion is extremely rewarding for Judy.
Judy lives in Colorado Springs, Colorado, with her husband, Bill, who “aids and abets” her quilting passion. She and Bill have two married sons, two grandsons and one granddaughter.